Saturday, February 14, 2009

Rescession Proof

I was in the post office on Thursday and I overheard a snatch of a conversation about the recession. The customer's business was being affected by changes in the postal system that were being caused by the recession according to the postal worker. I'm not sure why I had this epiphany right at that second, but suddenly I had an idea for a recession proof job.

It doesn't require any special schooling fortunately, but having some sure doesn't hurt. It doesn't require and special skills or talents either. You work with what God gave you and you fudge the rest. Another plus to this job is that it can be REALLY fun to get into, but not always. Sometimes you have to go through quite a few hoops to land the position, but once you have it, it's yours. You have to be shockingly bad at it before they'll fire you.

The hours on this job can be kind of rough, but if you're employed, should you really be complaining? It's also not uncommon for people in this position to find themselves completely unappreciated in one moment and then lavished with praise only a moment later. It can really give you whiplash. You can go from wanting to run away, quit and change your name, to marveling that God would find you worthy of the position. It keeps you humble at any rate.

Sadly, you might not find this recession proofness of this job all that comforting; it doesn't pay a dime! Welcome to motherhood!

1 comment:

Jo said...

Love it T! Your thoughts are so profound... and so TRUE!

I am so thankful to be a Mom... and at the same time some days so drained by it!

And, isn't it sad how awful you truly do have to be in order to get fired from this job? Although... I have known ppl who have been fired, only to have another child and start all over again :(

Big Hugs!
Jo