Monday, December 3, 2007

Advent

Yesterday, not October 25 or when ever stores started to put out Christmas items, was the first Sunday of Advent. This is a big deal if you celebrate Christmas as the day of Christ's birth. If you don't celebrate that, then perhaps you're not that interested in Advent and I wish you happing shopping and all of that.

However, if you're looking to see some more Holy in the Holiday, here's a link to Mars Hill's Advent walk.
(Thanks Ginger for the good suggestion.) In addition you might want to listen to the Sunday teachings from Mars Hill for the Advent season. Chris Seay from Houston was last week's teacher, Rob Bell will be teaching the next two weeks and the last week will be a man named Dwight Pryor. Dwight is the founder of the Center for Judaic-Christian Studies. If this past week's message was any indication, prepare to do some rethinking of your Christmas celebrations. You can find these teachings both on itunes or at the Mars Hill
website.

I know that I've struggled mightily in the last year or more to be holy, to see holiness, to love holiness. Whether Jesus was actually born in December or not, a season commemorating the way he came to us, the beginning of his incarnation, seems like a good time to pray for and seek out new life in my own soul.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I tagged you for a blog game. Check out the rules at: http://juliesnonsense.blogspot.com/

By the way, I'm really interested to read those articles and have something more constructive to talk about than a game. ;)